Friday 15 February 1985

Drag Queen Makeup




For my first piece of experimentation into gender I wanted to do drag makeup (This makeup was carried out before of drag queen lesson) From research I know that drag is a big cultural movement and fits in with the sexual revolution of the 1970s that came with the second wave of feminism and societies acceptance of drag (proven with shows such as RuPaul's drag race) displays the changing of gender norms that are present in the theory of post-modern feminism. To challenge myself I wanted to try drag on an older model (50) and drag queens are often older as they were born in a time where drag or being transgender etc. wasn't acceptable so it's becoming more common for people to try this today. 




Model before any makeup has been applied.



Eyebrow cover done with wax and sealer. From now learning the technique with pros-aide next time I would use that as it's a lot neater and easier to apply makeup on top of.


Makeup without wig and scarf.










Overall I was happy with the end result of this look with the wig on as it looked complete and like a drag makeup. I found the eyebrow covering very difficult as my model had older skin so the wax was hard to keep in place on skin which has lost some elasticity. Using wax also meant it was difficult to put other makeup such as eyeshadow over the top of the product, making the eyeshadow shape and the blending not as good as it could be. Next time I would use the pros-aide method to cover the brows. I was mostly happy with the skin makeup as it covered the skin well and the cheek contour was heavy enough and noticeable. I would have liked the nose contouring to have worked a little better as the nose on the model is very masculine and that was difficult to change. Next time I would blend more cream products together to do the nose. As this was an older drag queen I didn't want to go too big on the eye makeup so kept it slightly smaller which worked well for the end look. I think the blending of the eyeshadow could have been a lot better and I maybe could have extended the eye makeup outwards slightly more. I was happy with the re-drawn eyebrows and liked the shape for the models face, especially the right brow. Next time I would try using a brow gel instead of pencil and powder to give a stronger appearance. I liked the lip colour and shape a lot and think it suited the look of the drag makeup and changed the models lip line realistically. Overall there are improvements to be made in this makeup but I'm happy with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment